30 May 2014

About cleaning


*A few iPhone captures from lately...which -- ding ding! -- are in no way relevant to this post. 

So, every once in awhile, I get into these cleaning moods where I lose. my. mind. I go bananas, nutter butters, bonkers, berserk. I'm a truly accomplished micro-cleaner -- the bookcase and my sock drawer are a thing of wonder. Folks oughta flock to take in the magnificence of my little corners -- to study them, take it all in, travel home changed. National parks kinda status. But STAY AWAY FROM OUR CLOSET. When it comes to macro-cleaning -- here, Bridget, make this room clean-ish and functional-ish -- just, no. The clarity and precision with which my mind tackles spot cleaning are rendered useless in these scenarios. Everything goes to mush. But through the fog I exclaim, yeah, let's do this! 

And so what we have now, in our living room, is a giant pile of everything from our closet...all of which needs to be sorted and either placed neatly back into the closet or otherwise donated. It might sound like a good idea, but the method is definitely flawed. Because, well, like 70% of it was fine and not in any needing of sorting or re-hanging or any tampering at all. But I let the other 30% rule the roost and -- like I said -- I lose my mind. So I've created a leviathan (and unnecessary) task for myself this evening. And probably while I abandoned my outpost, the dogs have laid in a pile of clothes that didn't need sorting in the first place, which will now need to be re-washed and re-dried and re-ironed and re-hung as a result of the dog fur. All because I am crazy. 

15 comments:

  1. I do the same with my closet! Don't mind the fact that only one drawer was a mess, I have to dump out everthing. It's a total pain but it feels soooo good when it's done, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing! Where I just go on a cleaning spree. Actually it happened today, in the bathroom but it was much needed.
    Carlee

    Little Sloth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I digress -- usually that's a completely necessary process in the bathroom. I'll back you up there. ; )

      Delete
  3. This is so funny. Have you ever heard of inward clean and outward clean? Inward clean...like the inside of your drawer with all your cosmetics and hair stiff is spotless. Your sock drawer, spotless but the outside stuff is dirty and vice versa. I totally get this but I'm more of an outward clean, inward dirty. Everything looks clean from the outside but if you look in the closet , pantry or crawlers....someone might call hoarders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious, what app/program did you use to create the collage image? Incredible photos as always.

    Xx, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I edited all of them on my phone -- and then I arrange them with photoshop -- or an online editor (like picmonkey) works great, too!

      Delete
  5. the same thing happened to me! I got home from college and decided to tackle the mess that is my closet. it's been a week and I'm still not done making sure it's absolutely organized.
    Rebecca @ trbcca.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that was every summer when I moved during college. I actually have distinct memories in all my different dorms/apartments of that experience. Why, why!? Should have just let it be. ; )

      Delete
  6. Welcome to my brain!!!!!!!!!! I have done this time and time again... and every time I think it is going to be a great idea and make total sense and it never does. What? Why. No idea. Anyway, I feel ya!

    jemima jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems like the BEST idea, for like, 5 minutes.

      Delete
  7. NakedClean® is house cleaning re-invented. Providing our services for San Diego County, we use only natural products and Probiotics to help minimize the amount of toxic chemicals in your home. Not only are we great for allergy relief and all-around health, but our housekeepers are trustworthy and professional. We believe a healthy home is a happy home, so remember to keep it People, Pet and Planet Friendly®! For more information visit http://www.naked-clean.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so true, I feel like the cleanliness and functionality of my room are so connected to my productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! We're moving this week and my house is just a mess of clothes that I'm not sure what to do with! Ha. The struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say your home reminds me of this beauty - http://curiousconstellation.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/this-has-to-be-one-of-most-feminine-and.html?

    ReplyDelete